The One Oscars ‘Do We’d Do: Ponytail Goes Glam
Oh, Oscar, you never cease to amaze. This year, we were bowled over by the nods to minimalism that popped up on Hollywood’s most glam night of the year. For starters, Reese Witherspoon dropped the mic in a black-and-white Tom Ford. ‘Nough said.
Our girl Jennifer Lopez stunned in a plunging-neckline, nude Elie Saab ensemble. The dress may have been va-va-voom, but her hair wasn’t. She smartly rocked a high, slicked-back pony so as not to compete with the gown’s never-ending skirt.
Also sporting a ‘tail was funny girl Leslie Mann, who pulled one of our personal faves and went with suiting. Armani, to be exact. Nexxus New York Salon Care celeb stylist Lona Vigi did Leslie a solid and complemented her oh-so-groovy, high-waisted cream silk tux situation with an updated take on a big-haired ponytail.
"Leslie and I decided to add volume and waves to a chic low pony to mimic the 70's vibe of her outfit." - Lona Vigi
And in case you’re feeling inspired, here’s how to pony up like Leslie:
- The trick to this look is volume, volume, volume. After washing hair with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner, create a center part and apply a sculpting gel to wet hair and comb through your roots. Nexxus New York Salon Care Exxtra Gel Superior Hold worked to define Leslie’s strands around her face for a sleek look that wasn’t crunchy.
- Keeping the part, blow dry the hair away from the face and spray each section individually with a smoothing hairspray like Nexxus New York Salon Care Frizz Defy Finishing Mist, which provides humidity resistance and a natural hold.
- Secure hair into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck. Editor's note: To create the same volume Leslie had at the back of the head, we suggest pinching a 1-inch section at the root and gently pull up. Retighten the ponytail and secure bouffant with bobby pins if needed. Curl the ends with a small-barrel (1” or less) curling iron.
- Curl the ends with a small-barrel (1” or less) curling iron. Brush out the ponytail and backcomb for fullness.
- Finish with a firm-hold finishing spray like Nexxus New York Salon Care Maxximum Superior Hold, which Vigi used to provide that sexy texture you see and a hold that keeps the style from fading.
And here's Leslie's head-to-toe look, because YES.
Photo (Leslie full-length): Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images North America via Zimbio